I have been craving cookie dough! Like straight up just day dreaming about buying a roll of premade cookie dough and eating it like a push pop (by myself). But we all have been warned by our mommas that it would give us a tummy ache.
So, I found the next best thing which is edible cookie dough! To be honest, there was no difference in taste between this and
bake-able (yep, I just made that up) dough.
For the girls, we added rainbow colors and a ton of sprinkles for unicorn magic or you could add chocolate chips. We even scooped the dough into cones for non-melting ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Food coloring – pink, purple, blue, orange (or have fun mixing primary colors)
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
Heat-Treat the Flour
The flour needs to reach an internal temperature of 160º Fahrenheit to kill off any bacteria. This eliminates the risk of E Coli.
Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Pour the 1-1/2 cup of flour on a baking sheet and spread it evenly. Bake for 5-6 minutes. Allow the flour to cool while you mix the other ingredients.
- In a food processor or with a mixer, cream together the sugars and butter.
- Mix in the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt.
- When the flour has cooled down, mix in the flour.
- Separate the dough into balls. We used 4 colors so we had 4 balls of dough.
- Place the dough on a cutting board, tray, or dough sheet. Push a hole in the center of dough and put the food dye in the center.
- Work the dough until desired color is reached.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 as needed.
- Flatten each ball and add 1/8 cup of sprinkles to each. Work sprinkles into dough.
Note: I let the girls measure ingredients and do steps 6-8.
If you somehow resist to eat all the dough, it can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 day’s refrigerated. You may need to warm it slightly in the microwave after refrigerating it to soften the dough.